Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lessons Learned from traveling in Colombia

Many of these lessons came out of work I did during an ongoing series of Ayahuaska ceremonies. At one point, while talking with a friend named Makensie, we were wondering "How do I carry this home with me?  How do I go back to the place where everyone expects me to be the way I was before, and be this new person I am now?"

And I remembered meeting another traveller who had written himself an epic manifesto of his intentions for his trip, and I remembered wishing I had done that for myself starting out my own trip. 

And in talking to my friend Makensie, I thought, "well let's write ourselves manifestos for going home and taking out lessons with us." 

So we did.  And here it is.  It feels especially right for me to re-write this here and now, as I think I need a reminder. 

LESSONS:
  • I am not broken - I do not need to be fixed 
    • (neither is anyone else, nor the world)
  • No part of human activity is outside the ecological systems of the earth - including violence and destruction
  • THINKING is the opposite of consciousness - to Dream and to follow our Dreams is to be truly awake and present
    • input from dad: "thinking is a tool" which is true!  still not the same as consciousness 
  • In order to change the world, all we really have to do is to DREAM - to heal ourselves, enable others to heal themselves, to learn how to embody love 
  • But we cannot be awake until we are finished sleeping... 
  • When we dream of violence, we create it in the world
HOW I CARRY MY LESSONS AS I WALK:
  • I sleep until I wake up
  • I dream my dreams, and follow their lead
  • I dance/play/do yoga every day
  • I am conscious of the flow of energy around me and I dance with it
  • I do what I feel like
  • I speak my mind without worrying about making other people unhappy or insecure (because sometimes, the act of asserting my boundaries might be offensive to others, and sometimes being offended/hurt/insecure is the work that other people are doing and I do not need to take on responsibility for that)
  • I remember that Listening, Thinking, and Speaking are three different activities that cannot be done at the same time
  • I do one thing at a time
  • I pursue open, loving relationships with people am attracted to without a sexual agenda. 
  • I move at my own pace
  • I AM MY AUTHENTIC SELF
  • I practice communicating without speaking
  • I embody love
I have purposefully written these strategies down in present-tense action-doing grammar.  I certainly haven't yet internalized all of these things, but they are goals and guidelines for how I want to actively take responsibility for the course of events in my life.

Hmmm.  Repetition.  I am a slow learner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment